We all love our pets. Despite their cute faces and playful natures, sometimes they leave us with messes, that are hard to clean and smell terrible. If your pets have had accidents on your carpet, don't worry! There are several easy methods for destroying pet odors and stains.
No matter how well-trained your cat is at using her litter box, or how house-broken your pup is, occasionally they will have accidents on the carpet. There may also be times when your pet gets sick or tracks in dirt from outside. These tips apply to all kinds of pets stains including urine, feces, mud, or vomit.
- The first step in removing any kind of pet stain is to blot up as much of the liquid, or in some cases pick up the mess, as much as possible. Use paper towels or plain white rag to soak up as much of the liquid as you can.
- Next, pour a little plain water on the stain to re-wet it and begin the blotting process again. Continue until you no longer see any dirt or urine on the towel.
- Treat the stain with a natural cleaner or an enzyme-based cleaner, such as Nature's Miracle, to help remove the stain and destroy the odor. Despite your inclination to use any old carpet stain remover, it is critical to use something that is designed to remove pet odors. Enzymes in pet stain removal products break down the source of the smell, rather than masking it. Some great homemade methods of removing pet odors include:
- Mix two parts water with one part hydrogen peroxide. Apply to stain and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, and then blot up the moisture.
- Soak the area in undiluted white vinegar. Let it sit for several minutes and then blot dry.
- Cover the entire stain with baking soda. Let the area sit for several hours and then vacuum the baking soda up.
- Once you have completed the above steps, make sure you have blotted up as much moisture as possible and let the stain air dry.
While pet stains are unpreventable, it is important to treat the area as soon as possible to prevent staining and lingering odors. Yearly professional carpet cleaning is also a great option for pet owners to maintain the look and health of their carpet.
Published by your friends at VerticalRent